Wednesday, September 5, 2007

It's a long way back to Germany

I picked up a book on beginner's Arabic and have started practicing the alphabet. I also wrote my first Arabic sentence which may be too embarassing or funny (depending on who you are) to mention. Tomorrow we leave for Frankfurt for a day of layover, whereafter we will end up in Marrakech on the morning of the 8th. Instead of going through just a few countries in the north of Africa and onward into the Middle East, WE'RE GOING INTO AFRICA*!!!!!! We've picked up a few things including a tent, some sterile syringes and needles, the new LP Africa guide book (shameless advertising) and of course I've got my headscarf to stay demure.

Oh, and


Ramadan starts on the 11th!..

EDIT Okay, the moon didn't show up until the 14th

2 comments:

shawn said...

I just found this site today. Im so envious and proud of your journeys and would love to see you and have lunch or something if you get anywhere back to america. i am finishing my last term of college and should be heading to san francisco early next year.

Lynn Dann said...

Hi! I'm Teresa Lynn Dann - your second cousin - I'm your Mom's first. My dad - Herb (your grandmother Nancy's brother) - sent me an email updating me about you and your travels. Looks like you are having fun!

I took a variety of time traveling on occasions from Scotland, through Europe, Greece, USSR (in those days) and Hungary. It's too bad you didn't have info/connections with extended Dann family ie Gubicks - in Germany. We took a 6 week family camping trip when I was 12 so met them a long time ago. I'm now 43...a long time ago...

This communication is amazing.
Have fun traveling. Let your mom know I say hi - she's knows me as Lynn - I'm officially named after our grandmother (your great grandmother) Teresa Gubick Dann so was always called Lynn.

You've got family in Boston so feel free to take time stopping by if you end up heading this direction! -Lynn